Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What to do with an "off" day?

Today I feel "off".  I mean I have a headache, I feel sore, tired my head is a little cloudy.  No one thing but just "off".  At times I feel like calling it a day and heading home to bed.  But for some reason or reasons I do not.

What about you?  Do you have days like that?  Maybe you do go home and get some rest?  I find it is a challenge because there is always a lot to do, but that never changes whether you take the time off or not.  Sometimes I think we do not take the time off we need because of our own fears.

We fear what others will think.  Will they think I am lazy?  Will they think I can't handle things?  Will they look down on me?  Will they begin to treat me different?  Will I be the gossip topic around the office?  Will they believe that I need the time off?  Will it hurt my hopes for lfeadvancement?

Sometimes we let the fear of people rule our life and decisions.  This is just an example.  But the hard part of this is a bigger question.  Do I fear people or do I fear God?  I must learn to fear God more than people.  If I get this right then I will have no problem taking time off when it is needed, as long as my first desire is to honour God then the rest will be ok.

When we fear people more than God, then we will work too much, buy things we do not need but that make us some more friends.  We will do what ever we need to so that we look better at work and in the community.  We will follow the popular agendas of our friends to make sure we are included.  Etc....

Yet we are to Love God first (as I talked about last time) which means we are to fear God above anyone else also.  To fear and honour God is hard work and a lot of change from our current culture.  How and Why we make decisions has to change.  If I want to Love God fully, then I must fear Him in a healthy way, so that I follow in proper obedience.  I love and fear God so I work hard, care for my family, love my friends, serve my Church, embrace my community and take my rest.  But not to please others or myself, but to live for Him who made me and saved me.

So I urge you today to Fear the God that you truly Love, do not give in to the pressures put on you by others or yourself.  Honour God with your life.

Pastor Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment