Thursday, March 7, 2013

Love God - Glorify God

Today I am pondering the worship of God.  The Bible in the book of Philippians chapter 2 verses 9 through 11 says this ... 
God has  highly exalted him and bestowed on him  the name that is above every name,  so that at the name of Jesus  every knee should bow,  in heaven and on earth and under the earth,  and  every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is  Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (ESV)
As I consider the challenge we have received from Jesus to "Love God", I begin to consider what that means, how do I do that?  My mind turns to passages like the one from Philippians above and I think about worship.  To Love God must include worship.  If we Love god we will demonstrate our Love in worship.  This will include our Sunday morning service, our singing, our prayer, our reading of the Bible, our hearing the teaching and preaching of the Word, but also a whole lot more. 

My Love for God is to display the Lordship of Jesus in my life. This is about a life of worship, not just a time of worship.  Everything I do is to be in worship, displaying my Love for God.  My thoughts conclude that this must be a part of my Love of God.  

Then I realize that I do not measure up to this.  I am not perfect in living a life of worship.  I am not even close.  I cannot even perfect a time of worship.  I find myself distracted and wound up in the wrong mindset.  Too often treating worship as something that "feeds me".  Something that is about what "I like".  Yet it is not supposed to be about me at all.  It is supposed to be about God.  About worshiping Him.  About His honor and glory.  Not about my preference, my style, my comfort.  Worship, like my life, is to be all about Love for God.

And so I sense conviction.  Conviction that I need to humbly walk in repentance for my self-centered attitudes.  Conviction that I need to seek to Love God more and more.  Conviction that the more I Love God the more He will change me.  The more God changes me, for His purposes, then I will be able to glorify Him and honor Him better, living out my Love for God.

So I come to a conclusion that I need humble myself.  So that I can Love God more which should result in glorifying God in a life of worship.

What about you?

Pastor Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment