Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pondering Humility

As I sit here and take time to ponder.  I find myself drawn back to the passage I shared with the Deacons Last night from Luke 22.  Where Jesus challenges the disciples, who are arguing about who will be the greatest in the kingdom,  about not being like other leaders and instead serving with humility.  The challenge to be humble and to put others before ourselves, not just in our closest relationships like marriage or as parents, but as a lifestyle.  

I have found myself often returning to passages like this one, probably because I too often find pride in my humanity.  Pride can creep in so quickly and easily and yet it brings only hurt, destruction and distance from the very people you desire to be close to.  Pride really makes me sick, and at times that means I make me sick.  I have long believed that our own self, our human flesh, is one of the greatest opponents we face.  Satan does not need to do a lot to mess with us most days, we take care of that on our own.  

So I ponder this reality and decide that as one who is charged with following Jesus and His ways, as taught in the Bible, then I must put myself away.  I must die to self daily and live for Christ, as by the power of the Holy Spirit, Jesus has taken up residence in me.  So I much like John the baptizer, must be come less and He must become more.

I urge you today to be on this journey with me.  Let us seek to walk in humility, following our Lord Jesus.

Pastor Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment