Friday, February 15, 2013

Family Time

Family, often such a misunderstood concept in our culture today.  I could go into a long discussion about my thoughts on the current culture but instead I want to take a moment to share my current pondering.  

I love family, I love the idea of family, I love experiencing family.  Family is a beautiful God given gift for us.  A set of relationships wherein we can find love, compassion, care, encouragement, laughter, tears, comfort, strength, life, mourning, sadness, and a true sense of community among other things.  I know no family is perfect, in fact I think all of them are a bit messy in one way or another.  

I got to spend time with a very special part of my family tonight.  Time with my wonderful wife, two sons, daughter (in-law) and yet-born grand child.  Such a great and close family.  Warms my heart.  Are we perfect ... NOPE!  But even when things get tough we will always love each other and be there for one another.  

As I pondered family, my mind regularly flashes to different people.  Many of them as close a part of our family as anyone and yet we are not blood related, at least not close "blood-relatives".  We all have the same common ancestors in Adam and Eve but we do not necessarily share last names or grand parents.  I have so many family members that I often long to spend time with.  They are all over the world.  Some are my parents, grand parents, brothers, sisters, etc... but so many are close to me because we are part of the family of God.  god brought us together and connected us.

Some people who are family to me I have spent very little time with, and yet I feel a close bond to them.  Others I have had the honor of spending a lot of time with.  All are so very special to me.  I am glad we have such modern technology so that I can try and stay connected with them.   

Here in Brandon where I have been only a short time, I have already been finding more family.  I love discovering all of the family members God has for me to meet up with.  This family idea is amazing, a great opportunity to make sure others know they are valued and cared for.  We are so blessed that God gave us this model.  I pray that we learn to embrace it better.

Find someone to encourage every day, if the day is not yet over find another one and then repeat.

Blessings,

Pastor Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment